History of the Sherburne Public Library
Sheburne Public Library was organized as part of the Sherburne Free Academy in 1838. In 1880 a new school building included a large room for the public library and contained 1,700 books. In 1885 New York State required all libraries to be separated from school libraries. On November 4, 1895 Sherburne Public Library began a legal existence. In 1909, with money from the Pratt family for the building and from D.H.G. Newton and others for the land, the library became a reality. The architect was Edward L. Tilton of New York City, and the master Workman was M. James Wilson of Rome, NY. The building was a gift to the town with the requirement that it only be used as a library. In 1939 the south wing was added including a fire place and reading room. In 1960 the library became a charter member of the Four County Library System. In 2002 new construction and interior renovations included a children's room, elevator, handicapped accessible restrooms, a new heating and cooling system, and office space. The architects for the new building were Teitsch-Kent-Fay, Cazenovia, NY. Over the years many librarians have faithfully served the library. Sherburne natives will remember fondly Addie Harrington and Mary Elizabeth Luley who served as Head Librarians for many years.